The Happiness Project

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I'd been curious about the book The Happiness Project whenever I saw it on bookstore shelves, and when my sister commented on it and posted about it, my interest was piqued enough that I picked up a copy on one of my recent trips.  I finally just turned the last page on a (yet another) flight this afternoon.  There was a lot there that I want to absorb, enough so that I think I'd like to re-read the book, and possibly underline or highlight a few passages.

I was inspired enough to begin drafting my own version of the "commandments" (overarching rules that you try to apply to your own life and believe in as core truths).  Here is the list that I've come up with so far:

Cynthia's Commandments:

  • Choose experiences, not things.
  • If something someone else does makes you uncomfortable, think about whether that is because they hit your weak/shame spots.
  • If you're tempted to criticize, think about what it is you want and question its legitimacy.
  • Don't be subversive or passive-aggressive. Be open and talk about what you need.
  • Embody grace.
  • Remember that fear is often the underlying emotion behind things you don't want to do. Give yourself permission to do badly.
  • Give yourself and others space and compassion.
  • Stick with it - everyone struggles in the beginning.
  • Experiment.
  • It's not about you.
  • Release the need to control and attachment to outcomes.
  • Don't let perfect be the enemy of good - or use being short of perfect as an excuse to quit.
I'm sure there will be more, but these felt like a good start.

________________________________________________
Additions:
  • Talk to strangers.
  • Never behave worse in a situation that creates a perception of anonymity (driving, on the internet, etc.) than you would in person. 

0 comments:

 
My Humble Domicile - by Templates para novo blogger