Bees on the brain!

Sunday, January 30, 2011

So much going on lately!! I know, I know, I haven't posted in forever.

John and I went to a beekeeping class yesterday, and today I ordered two packages of bees...! They should be here around the beginning of May. We still need to put our order in for the hives, but we have a bit of time on getting all that together (albeit not too much). We have a fairly large back yard, and are going to set the hives up near the back fence. They'll be a good 100'+ or so from the edge of our back deck, and not too near any of our neighbors, which is probably good!

I'm starting to think about this year's garden. Last year I didn't start anything from seed, but still kept the garden going with a variety of plants bought at various sources. Last years' garden included 32 tomato plants (yes, possibly a few too many), zucchini, yellow squash, cucumbers, chard, bell peppers, various basil varieties, and two new additions - sweet potatoes and cantaloupe. Both were so easy to grow I don't know why we didn't grow them sooner!

This year's garden plan includes Cantaloupe again, tomatoes, sugar snap peas, winter and summer squash, bell peppers, sweet potatoes, chard, cucumbers, green beans, turnips, cabbage, leek, carrots, and brussels sprouts. Well, that's the untrimmed list! I'm just opening up GrowVeg to plot out the space to see what we will and won't have room for. :)

0 comments:

 
My Humble Domicile - by Templates para novo blogger